14 February 2006

Florence Elizabeth Cory

"Q. State a little more fully as to the competency of women to do this kind of work, to receive the necessary training, and what aptitude do they develop for actually doing this work as well as men do it." (Cory, 341).

"Q. Can you answer from your observation this question, Whether women appear to possess as much natural aptitude for this work as men?" (Cory, 342).

The man questioning Cory asks her this same question twice in this testimonial. This struck me the most when reading. It was almost as if he couldn't let go of the fact that she believed women had the same ability, if not more of an ability, to do the same work as men. I think this definitely holds true today. I know from my personal experience that I have been thought not to do as well on a project as a man, and as unfair as this is, it is true. Women today are still struggling for equality, and it is hard when you are automatically labeled a certain way because you are a woman. This is where determination is the most important tool. Cory was determined to learn to design carpets because it was something that she was very passionate about. She wanted to know, so she did everything she could to learn. I think women today have to be determined to get where they want to be, to show men that they are just as capable. I think Cory handles these questions very well.

"A. Yes sir; I think they do and more. I think they have a greater taste. It comes more natural to them.
Q. You think that here is a field of industry specially open to women?
A. I do most decidedly." (Cory, 342)

Cory, Florence Elizabeth. Senate Testimony on Industrial Art Schools for Women. Davis, Rebecca Harding. Life in the Iron Mills. 337-342.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home