06 March 2006

Bread Givers Books II and III

Bread Givers: Book II and Book III

Wow. So I definitely enjoyed this book much more than I thought I would. I was not really surprised by the ending, but I could almost feel Sara's pain and anxieties throughout these last two sections. I was correct in assuming before that we would get to know Sara, and I am definitely glad that this was true. I felt as though I could relate to her much more and I definitely felt some sympathy... however, I was not exactly thrilled with the fact that she is bringing her father back into her home and putting herself in the same situation that she was in so many years before. But, I do admire her for it. "But as I came back to my quiet, sunny room, my heart ached for father" ( Yezierska, 268). It is admirable that even though she had such strong feelings of hatred towards her father, she was able to help him in his times of need. This shows great maturity, and I definitely think that her father found a a new respect for her as well, which made me happy. I really enjoyed this novel, and I think that it really shows that anyone, especially a single woman in America, can do whatever she wants if she wants it enough.

Yezierska, Anzia. Bread Givers. 1925. Doubleday & co., inc. 155-297.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home