05 April 2006

The Street 1-6

So far I am really enjoying this novel. I especially like how realistic it seems to be. The atmosphere reminds me much of Bread Givers in the it is dark, dirty, and pretty gloomy. "Dark hallways, dirty stairs, even roaches on the walls" (Petry, 5). Also, the way that petry speaks of the wind in the beginning makes it seem as if the atmosphere is alomst unbearable to its inhabitants. It's almost a stressful wind, which I think may show a little bit of how Lutie may be feeling.
One thing that I really like about Lutie is that she seems to be a stronger character than Lynn in Skyscraper so I am very anxious to see how Lutie makes it on her own and if she is able to set goals for herself and meet them fully.

Petry, Ann. The Street. Houghton Mifflin Company, Boston . New York, 1946. 1-161.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home